Frequently Asked Questions

Question: How do I find a family doctor?

London, like many cities and towns in Ontario does have not enough family doctors. Very few are taking new patients. From time to time the London and District Academy of Medicine becomes aware of new doctors in the London area and can help patients by providing their names and contact information. If there are no doctors on our list then a number of strategies can be tried to locate a family doctor.

  • Ask your friends or relatives if they will recommend you to their doctor

  • If your doctor has retired or moved he or she may have made arrangements for another doctor to help care for their patients.

  • Attend a walk-in clinic as your regular site of care. If you see the same doctor a few times there, they may agree to see you as a regular patient in their practice

  • Contact Health Care Connect at 1-800-445-1822.

  • If you require emergent care, please go to your local hospital's emergency department.

Question: Can I ask to see my medical records?

  • The record of your care is the property of the doctor or facility, but you are entitled to review your health record. If you wish, you may request a copy of the information in the chart. You will likely be charged a fee for its reproduction.

Question: Can I make my own appointment to see a specialist?

  • No. In Ontario you must be referred by a family doctor or registered midwife to see a specialist.

Question: My doctor has retired (or moved away). How can I obtain a copy of my medical record?

  • Often the London and District Academy of Medicine is informed of the location of these records and can help you. Call our office to find out 519-673-0950. Doctors are required to provide for the safekeeping of their office records for a number of years after they have retired. If the Academy does not have the information you require, please visit the website of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) or call 1-800-268-7096 ext 603.

Question: My doctor charged me for filling out a form for my insurance company. Do I have to pay for this?

  • Probably. Many services that your doctor provides are not paid for by Provincial health insurance plans. Your form may be one of these items. Many doctors have a list of services and the cost of these services in their offices. They are allowed to bill you directly a reasonable fee for this. Some physicians will allow you to pay an annual fee to cover all the services that you may require that your provincial health plan doesn't cover.